Wednesday 20 February 2019

DEFYING DISABILITY LIMITATIONS -Indomitable Kojo Ellimah

Wed, Feb 20, 2019,
Social Justice Day

DEFYING DISABILITY LIMITATIONS
-Indomitable Kojo Ellimah


"I remember spending endless times at the hospital and then later at some herbalist centres.

Then when I started school I had no consciousness that I was " different ".
In Nursery 2 (or Kindergarten, I'm not sure!) my class started rehearsals for the annual 6th March Independence parade. It was always a sense of pride to be selected to march.

So I did rehearsals with my class. Anytime I marched my classmates made fun of me. I did not understand what was going on. Then our class teacher called Auntie Christie told me one morning that I could not join the team to march. I cried uncontrollably that day, and asked her to tell me why. Sadly she didn't. I was later to realize it was because of my disability.

Growing up my sisters were over-protective of me. Again I did not understand why, till much later.

My family was phenomenal in those days. I remember my grandmother who brought me up allowed me to do everything " normal" kids did. I fetched water. I could pound fufu. I could sweep. This training prepared me for later life, especially when I went to boarding school (Accra Academy) where I was expected to do things by myself. "
- Richard Kojo Ellimah

Kojo was born in Obuasi in the Ashanti Region of Ghana some 40years ago.

He was not physically challenged but at age 3 he started suffering from poliomyelitis.

Kojo defied the disability limitations and started his formal educational life at the first private school in the Adansi area, Queen Egyima International School, popularly called Auntie Bea, established in 1978.

He proceeded to Christ The King Secondary School in Obuasi for his GCE, "O" Level.

Then to Accra Academy to obtain the "A" Level  with greats like Bola Ray (the Chief Executive Officer of media giant EIB Network) and Uncle Ato (renowned gospel musician).

At the Ghanaian Institute of Journalism (GIJ) Kojo obtained Diploma in Communication with internationally celebrated ace undercover journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas (Tiger Eye PI), master communicator Akwasi Sarpong (BBC), award winning investigative journalist, Raymond Archer (Enquirer newspaper), versatile Ivy Heward-Mills, among others.

Unlimited Kojo obtained 1st Class Honours in Development Planning from Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and his Masters in Development Planning and Management in the same university in Ghana.

Further, he obtained Executive Masters in Management (Sustainable Development) from Maastricht School of Management in the Netherlands.

Kojo's awards include Les Aspin Fellowship, Australia Awards Fellowship, Canadian Education and Training Awards for Africa and, Netherlands Fellowship,etc.

For over 10years he has distinguished himself in the civil society space in Ghana's Extractives Sector (Mining and Oil and Gas) and traveled across over 24 countries in 4 continents to make presentations that have influenced landmark policies.
One of the lead activists on the recently reopened Obuasi Mines is Kojo, who, at a point in time received threats from some quarters in his quest to seek social development for his people endowed with abundant gold deposits, others but impoverished.

The Executive Director of CeSIS, an Obuasi headquartered non-governmental research and advocacy organisation, is very innovative as development practitioner, communication consultant, media trainer, human rights activist, natural resources and environment (NRE) expert, journalist and blogger happily living in Obuasi with his adorable wife and their son.

Kojo's watchword is determination and he has, therefore, inspiringly groomed many professionals including this writer he has, over 13years, coached and given exposure to become a prolific media practitioner acclaimed by   continental and global greats.


✍🏽: Osei Kuffour
Fb: Osei Kuffour OK
E: okeditor5@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparation towards schools reopening -GNACOPS

As part of following the basic protocols in sustaining and containing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ghana National Council of pr...